Monday, August 3, 2009

Finding Motivation


I gather from many of the celiac forum discussions, and articles written, that there is a never-ending stream of people who don't find good health motivation enough to follow a gluten-free diet. Too many focus on what they believe they are missing instead of what they are gaining. They struggle with, or deny, the diagnosis of celiac and consider it a sentence.
Making a drastic lifestyle change like changing the way you eat, shop, socialize, and travel requires motivation. Sometimes it is found within sometimes it comes from an outside source. And, everyone has to find his or her own motivation.
I feel lucky to have multiple motivating sources... 2 come from within: having lived in constant pain and the memory of losing both my mother and grandmother at young ages to stomach cancer.  
The third, and outside source, is my moment to moment reminder in the form of a 3 year old, 39 lb bundle of explosive power who bursts into every day by 6am at full tilt - ready to play, run, jump, draw, paint, bake, read, dance and learn with inexhaustible energy, enthusiasm, and joy!
I need a tremendous pool of energy to keep up with her. I want to live as long and healthy a life as possible to be with her, enjoying every moment to the fullest. I love drawing her as much as she loves seeing the drawings. Two years ago I didn't have the strength or energy to do anything extra. It took everything I had to get through the day. Now, even with my very hectic schedule I find - and use - slices of time to create. It re-charges me and is my special gift to my daughter. And it has made me whole again.
So, from the outside people may only see what I give up or do without to be gluten-free but from where I stand all I can see is what I have gained – and it is infinite!
*My Little Mermaid, work in progress, ink on paper, copyright Erin Rogers Pickering

You can see my more of my work in my Etsy shop Erin Go Paint. Or check out my recent 100 Day Project on Instagram


3 comments:

a kelly said...

I am so grateful I found the motivation and the inspiration to be gluten free! It was a coworker who inspired me to try...but little ones like your Ava are the very best inspiration in the world!

Rita Webb said...

Someone once asked me, "Do you ever cheat?" That would be a slipper slope. If I ever said to myself, "one bite is okay," I think I would slide back into the hell hole I came from. It is hard enough trying to watch for cross-contamination. It takes so little to make me sick.

Wow, 3 years old and 39 pounds? My oldest is 7, and we are thankful that she finally weighs 42 pounds now that she is off the gluten.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Frannie said...

Good Day,
I came across your blog through Etsy. Your artwork is just beautiful. I love your blog. I love to read anything and everything on gluten free. I have been gluten free for about 8 months now. I am not a celiac....but going through menopause and I FEEL GREAT.
Kindly,
Frannie