Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lunchtime

"Italian Garden', watercolor & ink on paper, 5x7, copyright Erin Rogers Pickering

Lunchtime does not normally move me to tears. Just a meal in the middle of the day, right?  Not usually an emotional experience.  

But recently I met my husband for lunch at a pizza place that I learned about on twitter.  I had seen tweets about gluten-free pizza by the slice (!), over 60 varieties of cookies and dozens of fresh baked GF cakes. On 23rd street!  Just blocks from my office.  Sounded too good to be true.

It wasn't. The pizza was outstanding, the owner and staff were all very friendly - and all those GF cookies and cakes were there... An entire wall of them!

I sat and ate my slice of spinach, mushroom and fresh garlic pizza with tears in my eyes. Moved by the fact that there are chefs and business owners who want to get GF right - driven to perfect their recipes and not just settle for good enough.

I am very sensitive to any gluten, and cross contamination is a real fear of mine. I ate at Mozzarelli's safely, happily and with tears in my eyes. My fellow celiacs know what I mean.

No comments: