Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Perception



“There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.”  ~Aldous Huxley

Recently I wanted to treat my daughter to her all-time favorite cookie, Russian Tea Cakes.  I have embraced the positive side of gluten free for all it has given me, and want her to grow up with a good attitude about the abundance that is still possible. 
Ah, but maybe not quite as positive as I had thought.  
Knowing (or believing) they are not the easiest cookie. And, with the substitutions needed to keep them gluten and dairy free, I went into the project feeling more than a little daunted

The original batch was a total disaster - I mean total disaster.... and I was growling and swearing in the kitchen (out of the little one's earshot) blaming gluten-free flour, 'fake' butter, etc!  "How can anyone make stuff with these ingredients? This will never work! How can anyone do this!"

Assuming the substitutions were the culprit. They were the easy target to blame, right?  

But, on quiet reflection of the recipe, a good night sleep, and then checking to see if there was enough butter in the house to try again - it hit me!  I had only put in half of the 'butter' needed!  HALF!  Anyone who's made Russian Tea Cakes knows that the butter is key to holding them together.

It was my error. 
Not the gluten-free flour. 
Not the butter substitute.  
In fact, my second attempt, with the correct amount of everything, they came out deliciously, abundantly perfect, and exactly like a 'normal' Russian Tea cake.

I used Emeril Lagasse's recipe on Food Network using an all purpose gf flour and Earth Balance natural buttery spread.

My daughter was thrilled with the cookies and said they were the best ever!  And, I learned a valuable lesson about perception.


No comments: