Thursday, June 1, 2017

What I learned from a Gluten Free Chicken Wing

I think I have always been intimidating by cutting meat. I felt like I didn't know enough about meat to cut it properly, so I avoided it. And bought everything as parts, and left any roast carving to someone else, anyone else!
Now I am not sure how you could really mess any of it up - but still I avoided because I thought I couldn't do it.
http://www.erinrogerspickering.com/


I have have more than a few assignments for Simply Gluten Free Magazine that involved cutting, carving, chopping, etc and my confidence has grown over time as I try more things.  I have found I can carve a turkey, open a rock hard raw spaghetti squash, butterfly a pork chop, create lovely pineapples cubes from a whole pineapple - and make my own drums and wingettes from whole chicken wings!

It was challenging for the first few but I got the hang of it as I went along. Also I figured if they weren't perfect nobody would care - the family was just eagerly anticipating the wings that were soon to be on the grill. So, no judgements, no mistakes, no problem.

I saved money buying the whole wings as opposed to the pre-cut packs, and put on a pot of stock with the end tips while the the wings were marinating.

My chicken wing chopping experience was like most things in life - best not to fear, face it head on, give it a shot, keep trying, and practice makes perfect!
And now matter how badly you butcher them - in the end they all tasted delicious.

If you enjoy my art you can find more in my Etsy shop Erin Go Paint.
Or check out my daily illustrations on Instagram


No comments: