Friday, March 3, 2017

Jamaican patties - Gluten Free baking

http://www.erinrogerspickering.com/
Jamaican Patties.
My Caribbean born husband's all-time favorite!
But, that gluten-filled flaky pastry - my nemesis as it crumbles and falls everywhere. Everywhere.
I freak out when they are in my house as it will mean diligence, and cleaning and an unsafe kitchen. It totally stresses me out. Then it puts a strain on us.  Not a good scene.

But still, Jamaican Patties.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/46271431/artisan-baker-gluten-free-bread-basket?ref=shop_home_active_18 
So I finally put my fear aside and tried my hand at them. Full disclaimer I have always lived in fear of baking anything that is billed as PASTRY. Sounds like something for a much more seasoned, experienced baker. Not me.  I prefer boxed mixes so I can't mess up. Baking has always been a little scary for me. It's like magic and I didn't get the wand, or the spell.

Last week I was feeling daring so I decided to make a pan of Jamaican beef and intended to bake biscuits to serve with the beef, and a salad. Drop biscuits I kinda have down pat. (using Pamela's GF pancake mix)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/244861470/mix-beat-whisk-baking-kitchen-art-print?ref=shop_home_active_32






I suppose I was feeling more daring than I even thought and on a whim started the pastry! Yes. Pastry! 
They would win no awards for visual presentation - they were very haphazard looking, let's say. I will need to practice a bit (or a lot) and make them a few times to improve the shape and folding, and cute fork lines around the edges (love those cute fork lines!)


But, the taste - the taste was incredible!!  
My St Thomas husband said that I nailed it!  My (gluten-free) daughter who has been desperately missing patties ate a few bites, stopped, breathed and said "and then the angels sang"
That my friends, was the best review I have ever gotten, for anything!!

I used this recipe from Food.com and I used GF baking mix from Aldi, even though the recipe calls for flour.  And, this is why I haven't been given a magic baking wand - I am always kind of flying by the seat of my pants! 


 

If you enjoy my art you can find more in my Etsy shop Erin Go Paint.
Or check out my daily illustrations on Instagram






No comments: