Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Growing fresh scallions through the winter


January in New Jersey is kind of a colorless time. Everything is awash in a murky shade of gray. Lots and lots of grays and washed out browns.  Not very inspiring for my color seeking eyes!

But, now I have vegetables growing in my kitchen through the dead of the winter!  Bringing life, light and bright color into the house - not to mention saving a few dollars. 
A simple trick I learned from my fabulous sister-in-law.  

Trim scallions about 2" up from their roots. 


Place them root down in a glass or jar with about an 1" of water.
(I change the water every few days to keep it fresh)
Keep them in a bright or sunny spot.


shoots after about 2 weeks in water

Watch new green shoots grow!
Chop, cook, enjoy!!  


No comments: