Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Week #3 of 52 Week Painting Challenge, The Studio Tour

"Sunset in Vieques", acrylic on canvas, 24x36, copyright Erin Rogers Pickering

After a 3-year hiatus I participated in our town Artist Studio Tour this past Sunday.

I spent every spare minute of the last week cleaning, clearing, hanging, framing, matting (and hiding all the toys), to make our home ready and to make space for all my work. Sunday was a great day with so many terrific people stopping by. I truly enjoyed chatting with all the visitors.

It was also exhausting and all-consuming.

The all-consuming part made me panic over creating my painting for week #3. I know, my 52-week challenge is supposed to keep me inspired, focused and connected. Not throw me into a tailspin.

So I took a deep breath, and a step back, looking at the big picture. During week #3 I created much more than just a painting. I created my art show. My piece of an incredible studio tour. A gallery in our home. Quoting my very last studio tour visitor of the day when seeing Sunset in Vieques: "Only God could create colors like that" pause "…but you came damn close, didn't you!!" Yes, the day has truly inspired me.

And not to go too long without a paintbrush in my hand, I did touch up this painting that was slightly damaged and that two visitors are interested in buying.

No comments: