Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week #5 of 52 Week Challenge

I was trying to come up with a way to bypass showing this week’s painting. It is bad. As in, very bad. But since I learned a powerful lesson as a result - and it was painted this week - it deserves the slot of painting challenge week 5.

You are wondering where it is, right? That's it, on the table behind my daughter. At an angle, in the shadows, hiding. That’s about as much as I am willing to show of it.

As I sat making an awful mess on the paper I wondered where I went wrong. But it didn’t take long to figure out. First, I tried to rush through it just to get my "assignment" done. Second, and more importantly, I ignored what the image was telling me. When I have an idea in mind the image/idea/concept usually directs me how to paint it... i.e. watercolor or acrylic, loose or tight, etc. And, normally I listen.

I was so focused on finishing, that the creating and painting process was not given their proper respect. It is a lesson I won’t soon forget.

PS - she is posing with one of my jars that I hope to have available at Erin Go Paint soon.

No comments: