Friday, September 18, 2015

Measuring Up - Kitchen Confessions

I don't like to measure when I cook. Even when I bake, which requires a balance of ingredients to make the magic happen, I still tend to approximate wherever I can.  Not really sure why, but I definitely avoid it.

Maybe it feels to confining.  Too much like rules.

Somehow it feels like it stifles my flow and creativity. Guess I like to imagine I am conjuring up and magically creating something new every time.

The fact that I am a reluctant (for lack of a better word) cook may explain it.  I cook for necessity not for the passion of it.   I know people who touch heaven when they are in the kitchen. 
Seriously.  
And based on the exquisite foods they create I am pretty sure heaven comes down and touches them in the process.
Again, Seriously.
I touch heaven when I draw, paint and run. Those activities fill me up - even when they are difficult.  That is passion.
So in my daily cooking time I try to spice it up. (pun intended)  Looking to make the process more exciting, adventurous...  more of a game. So I wing it. A lot.  
I approximate. 
And guesstimate.  Makes the doing more interesting.
And makes the results more of... an adventure.  Nothing ever tastes exactly the same as it did last time. I know, there are pros and cons in that.
But the meals are there, hot, healthy and ready when everyone is hungry. And the cook is happy because she enjoyed the process.




If you enjoy my work you can see more in my shop Erin Go Paint and my online portfolio.







No comments: