Monday, November 14, 2016

Gluten-Free Cauliflower Toast

No cookies, no breads, no pizza, no cake. Yep, that's where I am right now.


I have given up all baked goods, even the safest, cleanest Gluten-free flours and baked goods. It seems my body isn't happy even with the binding agents, and I feel just so much better when I say, "No, thanks" and do without.  It was the dang ice cream with the added 'gums' that tipped me off.

The most evident sign that avoiding gums is working, is the sudden re-growth of my fingernails - my fingernails are always the key. 
Most days it really doesn't bother me (yesterday I baked brownies and really had no desire to indulge). To me how I feel is everything, and far outweighs giving up baked goods and the like. If I feel great and energized - I have no need for those foods. 
I did say most, though. Occasionally I crave something that resembles bread, or a crust, or a cracker.

Lucky for me there are amazing recipe developers out there (truly they are magicians!) coming up with muffins, pizza crusts, pizza crust, cookies, etc., that don't require flours or gum binding agents. They are my heros!
This weekend I tried the Cauliflower toast from The Delish website... oooh wee! 



LOVED it - and so did my daughter. Not quite sure I would call it toast, resembled more of a potato pancake. But, I would be quite happy to stack a burger on one, or the lovely combo of guacamole and a fried egg.  I had mine with a tomato and basil salad drizzled with olive oil.  It was divine!

illustration from Simply Gluten-Free Illustrated Workbook

So if you are in the mood for something different, and can embrace your inner messy (grating cauliflower goes everywhere!) I highly recommend giving it a try. Enjoy the gluten-free goodness!

If you enjoy my art you can find more in my Etsy shop Erin Go Paint.  Or check out my daily illustrations on Instagram
 

No comments: